Holy Trinity Church in Broadgate has received a grant of £65,530 from the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund for Heritage.
This funding of over sixty five thousand pounds will help Holy Trinity carry out urgent repairs to stonework around the building. Originally identified as urgent by Architects in 2017, these repairs had to be put on hold when a significant Death Watch Beetle attack had to be dealt with in the Nave roof.
Holy Trinityis one of 445 heritage organisations across the country that will share £103 million, to help restart vital reconstruction work and maintenance on cherished heritage sites, keeping venues open and supporting those working in the sector.
The Revd. Graeme Anderson, Vicar of Holy Trinity, said “This grant of £65,350 is truly wonderful. We can now carry out urgently needed work to repair our stonework and keep the church building safe from wind and rain and even more importantly keep our congregations and visitors safe from any danger of falling masonry.
“Our beautiful church has provided a place of peace and prayer for the people of Coventry for a thousand years and through the generosity of our many volunteers and grant funding bodies, we pray that it will continue to be a place of peace and prayer for another thousand years.”
Holy Trinity Church is known to date back to 1113. Its beginnings are tied in to the history of the Benedictine Priory of St Mary which was associated with Earl Leofric and Lady Godiva. The church appears to have originally been established next door to the Priory to act as a “side chapel” to the priory church and for the use of the priory’s tenants.